UNMEAT BURGER STEAK
1 pack, 200g UNMEAT Burger Patty, thawed
2 tsp olive oil
PLANT-BASED BURGER STEAK SAUCE
4 pcs medium, 400g white onion, sliced
1 pack, 200g brown mushroom, de-stemmed and sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
3 cups water
2 tbsp flour
4 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 pc bay leaf
OPTION (for non-plant based), use store bought mushroom gravy
1. To make the sauce, caramelize the onions in ½ tbsp olive oil first. Cook the onions, with 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper, in a small pot and cook over low heat for about 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally. The onions will be cooked when it is reduced drastically and has a dark brown color.
2. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the sliced mushroom, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Let that cook for 1-2 minutes. When the mushrooms have browned a bit, add 3 cups
water and bay leaf. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, covered. Season with salt and pepper.
3. When the onions are done, pour the mushroom stock in the onion pot. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
4. In the pan where the mushrooms where browned, add the remaining olive oil and heat it up. Add the flour and cook until it turns a little brown. Slowly add the mushroom and onion stock to the roux. Stir at all times during the stock pouring process to get a smooth consistency. When the sauce is smooth and has the right consistency, add the mushroom and onion bits. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Season to taste.
5. In a clean pan, add 2 tsp of olive oil. When oil is hot, place the UNMEAT Burger steak on the pan. Cook each side for 2 minutes.
6. When Unmeat Burger steak is done, place them on a clean serving tray and serve with the cooked onion-mushroom gravy.
YIELD: 2 burger steaks