UNMEAT SAUSAGE CORNDOG
1 pack, 200g Unmeat Sausage, thawed, unpeeled and skewered
½ cup cornmeal
½ cup + 4 tbsp all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
¾ cup water or soy/almond milk
½ tbsp white vinegar
4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
As needed oil, for deep frying
As needed all purpose flour for dusting
As needed dipping sauces, ketchup, vegan mayo, mustard
1. Heat oil in a deep pan.
2. While oil is heating, mix corndog batter by whisking together the cornmeal, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, white vinegar and vegan mayonnaise. Whisk in water last and pour slowly to check consistency of batter. It should be on the thick side.
3. Carefully dredge the Unmeat Sausages skewered in bbq sticks with flour. Dust off the excess flour.
4. When ready, pour the batter in a tall glass for easier dipping of the sausage. Carefully dip the floured Unmeat Sausage in the batter until fully coated until the bottom of the sausage.
5. Quickly put in hot oil, ensuring it is submerged to evenly cook all sides of the corndog. If it does not evenly cook, the batter will have the tendency to slide off the middle, leaving you with a
bald spot. Turn the sausage as you cook. Be careful not to over crowd your pan too, if there is too many sausages cooking at once, the temperature will drop and give you a soggy corndog.
6. Drain excess oil.
7. Serve with dipping sauce.
Yield: 4 corndogs